Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My son is destroying the house right now

and Im truly enjoying watching him. For anyone who dosent know he is nonverbal and severly autistic.

My mom just spent a few days visiting. When she visits she cleans like crazy lol. She means to help and I appreciate her desire to help but she manages to drive herself and Nate crazy.


I cant be too negative about her "help". We are both slow learners ;) A year ( ok ok I still occasionaly feel discouraged even now) ago I would have been steaming about the fact that he was destroying the house faster than I could clean it and ruining all my hard work.

Ive come to realize that as much ...More! than I *need* the house to be clean he needs the chaos. He needs to feel all the different tetures of clothing while emptying out my dirty clothes hamper. He needs to bang things and make different sounds. and he needs to be allowed to do for himself even when doing for himself looks like doing nothing but making a huge mess.

Most days there has to be a compromise. The rest of the family does deserve a somewhat sanitary environment to live in. Today though is Nates day :)

1 comment:

New Unschooler said...

That was very insightful. It really inspired me. Thanks. I subscribed, so no more months of silence. LOLOL